Thursday, September 6, 2012

Recycling and health tips from mom

I had been planning to write this blog for sometime now but....as all important things get delayed...so did this one.

Three summers back my mom visited united states to spend some time with me. We were living in the downtown palo alto at that time. Life was beautiful. Nice weather, nice people, well the economy was in doldrums buts lets keep that out of this.

What my mom could not understand was why people were not recycling enough even in the heart of silicon valley.....not taking bags to the grocery store, not reusing the small plastic bags we use to keep the produce, not closing lights in the stores and offices in the night. Everytime she would go for grocery she would carry her bag and those little plastic bags for produce. She would never let me buy things in bulk saying its not healthy and lot goes to waste. And don't even say anything about those pre-processed and restaurant food.

At that time while my mom was doing all that I was always appreciating those little acts but never thought of actually practicing what I was appreciating.

A few months back I quit my job to take a break from my 7 years of vigorous lifestyle and see what I wanted to do next. For the first time in my adult life I had time to relax and enjoy. 

The result was disastrous: I was eating bad, sleeping in till noon, hardly exercising ....... well I gave myself high sugar.

When the doctors report came in I came face to face with the realities of my mortal body. I was sent to take a course on healthy eating. Well my reaction to put it mildly: OMG what was the h___ I had been eating up till now. 

Then the meaning of every little thing I saw my mom do dawned on me. There are no shortcuts to health for our human bodies nor for the lovely planet earth we live in. What is good for our earth is actually good for us.

Just a few things I found from my experience that I would love share with everyone:

We have to make food from scratch(preferably, the less pre-processed the better). Check the amount of salt and sugars used as natural preservatives on the labels.

Buy fresh food, yup not any of those cold storage, out of season fruits and vegetables. Local farmers markets are best. And they taste really good:)

We need to drink fresh clean water. Not bottled water. Highly recommend reading about chemicals leaching from plastic bottles, PET, etc. I have started using life factory glass bottle very reasonably priced on amazon.

No microwave cooking. It decreases nutrient value of food. Yup its hard but please google: side effects of microwave cooking. This was hardest to give up.

Many more things but I will add them in my future blogs.

For all my readers in US, one really good recycling trick: Whole foods sell small reusable nylon bag to keep the produce. I found them in the produce section for about a dollar each. Not expensive at all and we can easily reduce our consumption of those flimsy good for nothing bags. A small but good effort to protect our earth.


Disclaimer:
The author is neither a spokesperson nor an endorser for any product mentioned in the article. She
assumes no responsibility for any damage/loss of any kind/form related directly/indirectly to the information found in this article. The reader is solely responsible for any action including, without limitation, to any kind harm/ destruction caused by/due to information found in this article.

No comments: